Monday, May 27, 2013

Flower Crown Tutorial

From day 1 of wedding planning I knew I was aiming for a simplistic look.  I wanted to steer away from many of the 'traditional' aspects of weddings.  Not out of rebellion but just because most of those type things don't appeal to me or seem to fit mine and Zac's personalities.

I've known for several years that a long white veil was not my style at all.  So for a while I thought I'd use some kind of birdcage veil that just covered a section of my face ( but I was still never crazy about that idea.)  So once we got engaged, the pressure was really on to figure out what I really loved and would feel very confident wearing on my wedding day.  After some debating on location for the wedding, we settled on the Virgin Islands and after spending a little time on Pinterest my answer was completely clear.  A FLOWER CROWN!  How I hadn't thought of that before I have no idea but once I saw it there was no doubt that would be my headpiece instead of a veil.

This was my very first attempt at making a flower crown an it isn't exactly what I want so instead of me wearing this one, I'm going to have my little sister wear it as the flower girl!

For supplies I used some dried baby's breath from a local craft store, some fake flowers of your choice and some craft wire.


It was a very simple process. I started by seperating the baby's breath and pulling the fake flowers off of their branches.  I simply layered the baby's breath to give it some texture and made a long line of it.  Once it was long enough to fit the diameter of my head I simply twisted it into a circle and connected the ends by twisting the wire tightly and covering it up with some branches of the baby's breath.  


It looked charming all on its own but since mine and Lydia's dresses are pretty simple I wanted to add a little pop of color so I added in a few of the flowers.  I did this the same way as before, by just placing the flowers where I wanted and using the wire to connect the base of them to the crown.





Lydia loves it and can't wait to sport it on the wedding day.  I'm currently planning out what my own crowns going to look like and can't wait to show the final product!
Overall it was a very simple project and getting to go look at all the flower options beforehand was super fun and inspiring.  I encourage everyone go out and make yourselves a crown to feel beautiful in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment